Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, January 13, 2017

The Bob and Sally Meme: Now More Than Ever, Consider The Source


I have a friend who loudly proclaims his open-mindedness and independence, then regularly shares conservative hogwash on Facebook, coming from sources he never bothers to check.  Here's his latest:


It's all over the internet on a variety of right-wing outposts.  In his case, he re-posted it from a red-blooded, right-tarded, Obama-hatin' FB page known as "The Silent Majority."  Search for it at your peril.  It has some pretty unenlightened shit on it.

While I agree that political opponents can remain on friendly terms (we all do it all the time, every day), I reject the underlying message of this seemingly harmless meme, which is that Captain Stubby Thumbs is just another president, it's no big deal, get over it, move on, etc.

I believe that the choice to vote for Trump was not just another vote -- it was a terrible choice, an historic mistake, and a bit more consequential than choosing an ice cream flavor or a pair of socks.  If you voted for him, please understand that you are in the minority, and that I think you were extremely unwise.  We can still be friends, but I won't pretend your vote doesn't bug me, and I won't forget.

And one more time flogging this dead horse:  When it comes to "social" media, consider the source!  You post it, you share it, you like it, you own it.  If you post right-wing stuff, you must want people to think you're a right-winger.


Now here's my suggestion for an improvement on the Bob & Sally stick figure meme:




No comments:

Post a Comment