Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, December 8, 2016

John Glenn


Like many kids of that time, I was enthralled by the Mercury astronauts.  John Glenn was a particular favorite, one of my childhood heroes.  At some point in 1963-1964, a NASA exhibition was travelling around the country, and it included Glenn's famous Friendship 7 capsule (with the missing heat shield).  When my parents learned it would make a stop in Cleveland, they pulled my sister and I out of school for the day so we could all go see the space program's display.  I was hoping Glenn himself might be there, but he wasn't.  I was still a happy boy.

I did get a chance to hear him speak on the OSU Oval along with President Obama at 2010 rally.

First American to orbit the earth, oldest person to go into space, four-term U.S. Senator, decorated elder statesman.  What a life!

Godspeed, John Glenn.


No comments:

Post a Comment