Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, August 4, 2018

Urban Meyer and Ohio State: Tit Tries To Escape Wringer


He had to say something, and yesterday he did.  OSU football coach Urban Meyer issued a well-crafted statement which boiled down to, "Oh, now I remember!  Back in 2015, I did know all about assistant coach Zach Smith beating his wife, and I reported it properly to the proper authorities.  I always report shit properly.  But when I was asked about it on Big Ten Media Day, I was not adequately prepared to discuss it, and it showed.  My bad.  I'm sorry.  I'm all about the truth."

His actual statement was much, much better than my snarky boil-down.  Every word was carefully chosen.  It sounded really good.  A friend put it this way:  "Right now, ten lawyers have their arms all the way up Urban's ass and they're working his mouth."  Still, I believe I've captured the essence of his (lawyers') message.

Smith was fired from the OSU staff on July 23rd.  Media Day was July 24th.  Urban had to know questions were coming.  How could he be "not adequately prepared"?  How could he claim he knew nothing about the 2015 complaint or any of the other charges of domestic abuse against Smith?  But now it all suddenly comes back to him?

As Urban said, he "failed" on Media Day.  Uh, yeah.  But maybe he did indeed follow proper reporting protocols.  Maybe his head won't roll.  But someone's will.  The question is whose?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment