Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, August 26, 2018

John McCain


John McCain has left us.  Others will eulogize him properly and thoroughly, far beyond my humble abilities to do so.  I will remember him with respect.

I did not vote for McCain in 2008 and very often disagreed with his positions -- despite his "maverick" reputation, he was reliably Republican.  Still, he did exhibit an occasional independent streak.  He could compromise and work across the aisle.  He had no problem telling the asshole Donald Trump where to get off.  In the current state of political de-evolution, there's no one like him remaining in the GOP.

I most appreciate the Arizona Senator for two things:

1.  In July 2017, just five months into my cancer treatments and shortly after revealing his own cancer diagnosis, McCain cast the the third and deciding Republican no vote to deny Trump's attempt to repeal Obamacare.  He did it in dramatic fashion.  (And did it again two months later.)



2.  In advance planning for his funeral, McCain and family associates informed the White House that Trump will not be invited to attend.  Dissing the fat-ass fraud from beyond the grave!  Atta boy, John! 




No comments:

Post a Comment