Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, June 16, 2016

My Usual Gun Note To Portman And Tiberi


I send this, updated as necessary, to Sen. Rob Portman and Rep. Pat Tiberi after every American mass shooting/gun massacre.  They usually respond with boilerplate nonsense.  Wonder what they'll say this time?

Picture

Re the Orlando gun massacre:

I am a constituent.  I am strongly in favor of federal bans on military/assault-style weapons, semi-automatic weapons, and high capacity ammo clips/magazines.  I am strongly in favor of universal background checks for all firearms purchases, and the establishment of a federal registry of all known firearm owners.  I'm in favor of preventing those on the "no fly" list from purchasing firearms.  I hope you favor these things as well. 

I strongly support the Brady Campaign, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Everytown for Gun Safety, Moms Demand Action and Americans For Responsible Solutions.  I hope you support them too. 

I am adamantly opposed to the NRA’s dishonest leadership and their lobbying and legislative tactics.  I know you have a history of supporting the NRA and taking their money.   Since you continue to accept contributions from the NRA and do their bidding, I cannot support you.   But I sincerely hope that you will change and henceforth refuse all contributions from the NRA, financial and other, to your office and to your future campaigns.  The NRA is political poison.  You should disavow them completely.   

I've sent you this comment, or a version of it, after every gun massacre since Sandy Hook.  There have been far too many.  You've intentionally ignored the will of the people and done nothing.   But you can still change your tune, and you should.  Better late than never.

It’s time to do the right thing.  As Gabby Giffords once said, “You must act.  Be bold.  Be courageous.”
Thank you.
__________________________________

When you send these guys an email, you must choose your topic from a drop-down list.  It's curious that neither of these fine public servants lists anything close to "Guns," "Public Safety," or even "Crime."  They don't want to talk about that stuff if they don't have to.  With Portman, I had to pick "2nd Amendment."  With Tiberi, I went with "Healthcare."

No comments:

Post a Comment