Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, June 27, 2016

Department Of No Surprise


I saw in the news today that, among adult Ohioans in a recent survey, those who are not a member of any religion are more than twice as likely to cite "poverty and inequality" as their top political/social concern than are those who are members of an organized religion -- 18.6% of the non-religious vs. 9.2% of the church-goers.

The survey found the least likely to give a shit are evangelical Christians, with just 5.5% caring about the poor.  I know my fair share of those people, and I'm not surprised in the least.

As the great George Carlin once said, "I think everyone should treat one another in a Christian manner.  I will not, however, be responsible for the consequences."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment