Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, September 14, 2012

Three Ads From Three Stooges


U.S. Rep. Steve Stivers latest ad is a blatant rip-off of Ronnie Reagan's "Morning in America." It even has the same honey-toned narrator, who, as rays of sunshine beam through a window onto the coffee-drinking congressman, soothingly says, "It's morning in Ohio." And Iraq veteran Stivers is the reason why. Only Stivers will keep the sun rising over Ohio. He is the light. (Robe and sandals optional.)



Senate candidate Josh Mandel says it was "fiscally irresponsible and morally wrong to bail out Wall Street." (Remember, TARP was a Dubya deal.) Josh believes that nothing should have been done. "So, actually, even though nobody asked me, I was in favor of an even deeper recession and of prolonging the economic crisis. Fuck GM and Chrysler, fuck the financial sector, fuck 'em all. That's my plan. Sound good? Vote for me. I'm a Marine."



Willard Mitt Romney says, "This president can say he needs your patience, he can say it's someone else's fault, but he can't say that you're better off." The voice-over explains that Obama's China policy has cost us a hundred bajillion jobs, most from right here in Ohio. My dear Mitt, objectively, we are better off. Linguistically, your words are a Moebius strip of pretzel logic: unrelated hot-buttons about how we're in bad shape, and patience, and blame, and another country. So I guess you're saying that it's obviously Obama's fault, that you will impatiently kick some Chinese ass, and somehow that will make us better off. In Ohio.

(I must remember to unplug my TV, tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment