Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Most Representative Representative


Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA) is the Majority Whip, the #3 Republican in the House of Representatives.  In 2002, he spoke to an assembly of the European-American Unity & Rights Organization, or EURO.  It's a white-supremacist hate group founded by Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke.

A couple days ago, the fact of Scalise's speech to these bigots was uncovered and publicized.  Since then, it's been amusing to watch the flummoxed Scalise try to tap dance through the shit storm while constantly revising his story:

"I didn't do it."

"If I did, it was a long time ago and I don't remember it, so it doesn't really count."

"I might have.  I guess I did, if you say so."

"Yes, I vaguely recall the event.  But I thought I was talking to a Cub Scout troop."

"Now that you mention it, they were a little old for Cub Scouts."

"Linked to the Klan?  You don't say!  Well, it was during a campaign and I'm not picky.  I'll speak to any group during a campaign (especially a group likely to vote for me)."

"OK, it's all coming back to me.  Now I remember.  Yep, my bad!  I regret doing it.  Of course I oppose the views of groups like EURO (but pander to them anyway)."

"But I'm saddened that some are now trying to use this episode for political gain (just like I did by speaking to EURO in the first place)."

"John Boehner says he'll keep me around if I behave myself from now on, so all's forgiven and I'm good to go."

Weeper of the House Boehner:  "Rep. Scalise made an error in judgment.  He has my full confidence."
______________________


So the douchebag keeps his job.  Unbelievable.  Republicans are utterly shameless.  To cobble votes together, they'll cater to any fringe group, no matter how stupid or vile.  Let's tell the truth:  When Mr. Scalise spoke to the EURO people, he was addressing one of the GOP's core constituencies.  He was truly representing his party by talking to the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment