Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, December 26, 2014

I Am A Western Capitalist Pig


A couple days ago, I spit in Kim-Jong Un's eye and did my part for freedom of artistic expression by downloading a copy of the new movie "The Interview" from YouTube.  It's the sophomoric Rogen-Franco comedy that will either lead to world peace or cause World War III.

After initially cancelling the film's release, Sony Pictures backtracked and grew about half a nut, deciding to show it at 300-some independent theaters and to also release it online as a video download.

The big multiplex theater chains like AMC and Cinemark are still doing their spineless worm imitations by refusing to play "The Interview."  May they go promptly bankrupt.

Haven't watched the movie yet (I hear it's OK, but not great), but that's hardly the point.  It's to challenge Sony, Cinemark, et al, to stand up for their own business interests and reject 'fraidy-cat self-censorship, and it's also to figuratively flip off the hackers, whoever they may be.  (Almost certainly not the North Korean government, but it's fun to imagine it was.)

It was a $5 protest purchase.  How courageous of me!  Now I gotta put on my PJ's and watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment