Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, January 9, 2015

Bratton And DeBlasio Tell It Like It Is


Ambitious little shit
Last week, I told a friend that I thought NYC police union chief Patrick Lynch was a giant asshole for trying to blame the murder of two cops on Mayor Bill DeBlasio.  During the peaceful "I Can't Breathe" protests of the Eric Garner verdict, the mayor mentioned his own mixed-race family and said he understood black distrust of police.  Lynch said the mayor's comments "threw police officers under the bus."  Shortly after, the two cops were gunned down by a crazy person with no connection to the Garner protesters.  Lynch said DeBlasio had "blood on his hands" for the shooting.  Then at Lynch's urging, some cops turned their backs as DeBlasio spoke at the funerals of their two fallen comradres.

Embarrassing themselves
I told my friend this was shameful.  He said the mayor needs to be careful in what he says.  I replied that he chose his words very carefully, spoke the truth, and said exactly the right thing.  I said I wished he'd respond to this nonsense, but the mayor was too courteous to engage in a war of words with an ambitious little shit like Lynch.

At a press conference this week, DeBlasio and Police Chief William Bratton finally had something to say about the cops who turned their backs.  DeBlasio said they were disrespectful to the families of the dead, to their fellow officers and to their own department.  Bratton said the back-turners embarrassed themselves.

Well said, gentlemen!

Now, to prolong their streak of stupidity, some in the NYPD are staging a "work slowdown" -- spoiled children waiting for the mayor to apologize to them.  Enjoy the wait.  It's gonna be a long one.




No comments:

Post a Comment