Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Porky Governor Confuses Garden State With Iowa Hog Industry


New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has vetoed a bill which would have banned the use of pig gestation crates in his state.  These cages, also called sow stalls, are used to confine breeding females while they are inseminated.  They're small enough that the pig can't turn around.  These animals spend almost their entire lives facing forward, getting pregnant and giving birth, over and over again.  Many people feel the practice is cruel and unnecessary.

The New Jersey legislature passed the pig crate ban almost unanimously -- 93% voted for it, Democrat and Republican alike.  Yet when Christie vetoed it, he called it just another example of "partisan politics."  An interesting definition of partisan.

His Heftiness also said, "Trust me, I know what it's like.  I've spent most of my life unable to turn around in the shower, or in my office, or even in a small studio apartment.  But it's really not so bad.  If the governor of New Jersey can get used to it, so can a bunch of pigs."

Takes one to know one.

No comments:

Post a Comment