Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Sgt. Schultz Coping Strategy


(Excerpts from an interesting article in the NYT.)  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/style/the-man-who-knew-too-little.html
__________________________________

Hagerman
Erik Hagerman of Glouster, Ohio was shaken by Trump's victory.  Badly.  So he developed his own eccentric experiment -- part silent protest, part coping mechanism, part self-care plan. 

He swore he would avoid learning about anything that happened to America after Nov. 8, 2016.

Living alone on an isolated farm in southeastern Ohio, Hagerman has managed to become shockingly uninformed.  James Comey.  Russia.  Robert Mueller.  Las Vegas.  The travel ban.  "Alternative facts."  Pussy hats.  Scaramucci.  Parkland.  Big nuclear buttons.  Roy Moore.  He knows none of it.

It takes meticulous planning but his self-imposed regimen -- white noise tapes, scolding friends, a ban on almost all media -- has reshaped his life.  He calls it "The Blockade." 

Hagerman acknowledges some misgivings.  "It makes me a crappy citizen.  It's the ostrich head-in-the-sand approach to political outcomes you disagree with."

Yet, it's working for him.  "I'm emotionally healthier than I've ever felt," he says.
__________________________________

"I know nothing, I see nothing,
I hear nothing!"
In these historically weird and troubling times, when every day brings a fresh shit-show, it's easy to develop a case of Trump fatigue.  The idea of a long mental health vacation is tempting.  Perhaps Buster would benefit from emulating Mr. Hagerman's Sgt. Schultz strategy.  Maybe I should just give it a break.  Hmmm.  Let me think about it.


Nah.  Wouldn't work for me.  Shouldn't work for you either.  We must soldier on and preserve our sense of outrage at what Trump has done and is doing.  He has degraded us, but we mustn't normalize it.  He is a freak show, an aberration and a huge mistake.  We need to get him outta there ASAP!

#NotMyPresident
#FDT 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment