Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Vote With Your Feet , Vote With Your Wallet


Voting with your feet means showing your opinion by being present for what you agree with and walking away if you disagree.  Similarly, voting with your wallet means giving your financial support to businesses, issues and candidates who please you, and withholding your money from those who don't.

You probably heard that Dick's Sporting Goods today pulled all semi-automatic assault weapons from its shelves.  They will no longer sell such lethal weapons.  Nor will they be selling high-capacity ammo magazines, bump stocks, or any gun to anyone under the age of 21.

Yay, Dick's!  They're dedicated capitalists who did the right thing.  Yes, it's a small thing, but it's a start.  If we build on it with thousands of other small moves in the right direction, we might one day wind up with a sensible national gun policy.

This afternoon, I made my own small move.  I took my feet and wallet to Dick's and bought a cap I didn't really need just for the hell of it, to show my support. 


No comments:

Post a Comment