Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, January 14, 2018

NFL Is Still The No Fun League


Ohio's NFL teams were mediocre and perfectly awful, respectively, so I have no compelling rooting interest in the NFL playoffs.  Basically, I'm a neutral fan pulling for whoever can beat the Patriots.

Today I watched Jaguars LB Telvin Smith pick up a Steelers fumble and run it in for a 50 yard touchdown.  It had a certain "wow" factor, and Smith joyously pointed at a Pittsburgh pursuer as he scored, as if to say, "You can't catch me!"  Smith was instantly flagged for an unsportsmanlike taunting penalty.

C'mon man!  In a change of long-standing policy, the league now allows elaborate TD celebrations.  The happy scoring team can line up like ten-pins and be amusingly bowled over -- no penalty, no problem.  But pointing at some one -- pointing! -- is verboten.

NFL = No Fun League.

(P.S. -- Jacksonville won the game.  So there.)


No comments:

Post a Comment