Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, January 11, 2018

I Traded A General For A President



Faithful readers may recall that I once possessed a small bust of Robert E. Lee, bequeathed to me by my late Aunt Podie of Upper Marlboro, MD.  In her honor (not the General's), I kept the statuette unobtrusively displayed on the bottom shelf of a lamp table for many years.  But post-Charlottesville, I retired General Lee to basement storage.                                                   

Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by my Maryland kin.  My cousin Jeannette, Podie's granddaughter, said her parents, my cousin Jim and wife Anne, remembered the little bronze bust from long ago and wondered if I might return it to them.  I was happy to do so.  It seemed appropriate for the old General to return to a more familiar locale.

Then on Christmas morning I was pleasantly surprised with a replacement.  The lovely Mrs. Gammons gave me a small bust of President Barack Obama.  I've traded a General for a President, and my Cousin Barry now occupies the same little shelf where Robert E. once sat, which makes me happy.  It's a suitable arrangement all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment