Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, January 25, 2018

Health & Human Services -- No Health, No Services


The Senate has confirmed Alex Azar as the new Secretary of Health & Human Services.  Azar is a conservative bureaucrat and former Big Pharma executive at Eli Lilly, where he oversaw a Shkreli-style string of constant price increases for prescription drugs.  An outspoken opponent of Obamacare, Azar has said, "The Affordable Care Act has failed millions of Americans who have lost the plans they liked and the doctors they liked."

Azar's comment reveals a shallow understanding of the ACA, as well as his intention to continue sabotaging the landmark legislation.  Those who "lost plans they liked" (and "millions" is debatable) had cheap-ass, pretend insurance plans without essential coverages.  They may have paid little, but they got even less in return.

What Azar doesn't say is that 20 million Americans gained health coverage through the ACA, far more than had their substandard policies cancelled. 

I am covered under a plan on the ACA exchange.  As a self-employed person, the ACA allows me to have real and affordable health insurance, just like employer-provided, employer-subsidized group plans.  I'm a cancer patient, and without the ACA to help cover the extraordinary costs of treatment (over $360,000 in 2017), I probably wouldn't be writing this.  The ACA is working for me, and for many like me.

Azar, Trump and the GOP can go piss up a rope.  When they keep trying to kill Obamacare, they're in effect trying to kill me.  Pardon me if I get a little touchy about that.

In a related note, the HHS just announced a new "Division of Conscience & Religious Freedom."  Seriously.  It's a in-house cabal of culture warriors dedicated to anti-abortion and anti-LGBT discrimination.  God-squad conservative solutions in search of a problem.   

Azar's HHS:  Shit-coverage health policies, yes.  Obamacare, no.  Unwanted babies, yes.  Rainbow cupcakes, no.  How healthy!  What service!  

No comments:

Post a Comment