Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, November 12, 2016

Popovich-Van Gundy In 2020 (If Not Sooner)


(Sports and politics usually don't mix very well, but post-November 8th, we're in terra incognita and all bets are off.)
__________________________________________

Gregg Popovich is the highly-respected head coach of the San Antonio Spurs and a five-time NBA champion.  Normally, Popovich is like the Bill Belichick of the NBA -- not much to say to reporters.  But nothing is normal anymore, and Pop had quite a lot to say about the tiny-fingered vulgarian just elected by Idiot Nation.  Excerpts:

"I'm just sick to my stomach -- the disgusting tenor and tone, all of the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic.  I live in a country where half of the people ignored all of that.  Our kids would be grounded for years if they said the things Donald Trump said."

"I look at the evangelicals and I wonder -- those values don't mean anything to them?"

"He made fun of the handicapped person.  I mean, c'mon, that's what a 7th grade bully does."

"I can't imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person.  How disenfranchised they might feel.  And for anyone in those groups who voted for him, it's just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all that."


The Detroit Pistons head coach Stan Van Gundy had similar thoughts:

"I don't think anybody can deny this guy is openly and brazenly racist and misogynistic and ethnocentric, and still some people say, 'That's OK, we're gonna vote for him anyway.'  We've just thrown a good part of our population under the bus."

"What we've done to minorities in this election is despicable.  I'm having a hard time dealing with it."


And Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr weighed in with this:

"You're faced with the reality that the man who's going to lead you has routinely used racist, misogynist, insulting words.  That's a tough one."

"The whole process has left us feeling disgusted and disappointed.  I thought we were better than this.  I'm disappointed in the lack of respect and dignity."


Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  I'm voting the straight NBA ticket from now on.
Popovich-VanGundy in 2020!  Kerr can be Secretary of State.


No comments:

Post a Comment