Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Hate Is Easy, Humor Is Hard


Went to a Halloween party last weekend dressed as Trump.  It was a joke.  Obvious, I thought.  But some guy there apparently mistook me for a real Trump supporter and thus felt free to show me a photo on his phone.  Out of nowhere.  Just, here, look at this!   I had met the man briefly one time awhile ago, but I don't know him at all, don't even know his name.  I'd like to keep it that way.

His photo was a head-shot of Hillary Clinton which he had embellished with a black marker, adding horns, a black eye, a missing tooth, a Hitler mustache, and little black freckles across her cheeks, which he told me were "Morgan Freeman spots."

This is the sort of defacing 3rd-graders do with library books.  Yet this was an adult of my age. He was obviously proud of his juvenile magic-marker work and happy to show it to a complete stranger like me.  Thanks for sharing, douchebag!

The episode served to remind me that when it comes to using ugly, hateful imagery, conservatives top liberals by a wide margin.  Yes, both sides do it -- hell, I've done it myself -- but the bulk of it, the sheer quantity, is clearly with the conservatives.

Why is that?  I'm not sure, but the answer may have something to do with why there are so few conservative comedians.  Hate is easy, humor is hard.






No comments:

Post a Comment