Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, June 26, 2017

Better? How Is This Better?


Ever since the Senate Republicans barfed up their version of "healthcare" I've sent my wishy-washy wimp of a Senator, Robbie Portman, a daily email telling him to vote no on the goddam thing.  He's expressed "concern," but hasn't committed himself.  What a worm!  Here's today's missive:
_______________________________________

It's me again, Rob (altho I know you never see any of these messages).  And again I'm asking/begging/insisting that you vote NO on the Senate's Better Care Reconciliation Act.  The name is a cynical joke -- nothing about the bill makes anything better; it makes everything worse.  Twenty two million people will lose coverage.  For those who remain, costs go up, premium support goes down.  And the wealthy get $800 billion in tax cuts.

Your bill is immoral and, understandably, almost universally despised -- just 15% public support, rejection by the AMA, etc., etc.  It's a huge step backward, and a terrible idea.  You can't in good conscience vote for it.  You just can't.  Because it sucks.

So be a man, Rob --it's time for you to come out publicly and renounce this crap sandwich.  Stand up and tell the world you'll be voting NO.  You know it's the right thing to do.  Lives hang in the balance, including mine.

 
_______________________________________

If you live in Ohio, or maybe even if you don't, you'd be doing me a great favor by emailing Portman with your thoughts on the GOP's fundamentally mean and harmful legislation.  (And just like President Obama, I've heard from Donald Trump that he used the word "mean" before I did -- "That was my term, Buster!"  Sorry about that, President Wordsmith.  Didn't realize you invented the English language.)

If you care to contact Ohio's spineless Senator, here's the link:

https://www.portman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form






No comments:

Post a Comment