Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Science Of Santa Claus


Most American parents love to perpetrate the myth of Santa Claus to their young children.  I was no exception.  Were we telling an incredible lie to our kids?  Uh, yes.  Is this practice harmful to children?  No.  It may actually be beneficial, in its way.

Little kids lap up the story of Jolly Old Saint Nick.  They're eager to believe.  But over the course of a very few years, the Santa fairy tale helps children with their cognitive and emotional development.  They begin to employ their skills of reasoning, deduction, and use of evidence.  Flying reindeer pull a sleigh through the sky?  A fat guy brings all the presents down the chimney?  Every home, all over the world, in just one night?

By the age of seven or so, most kids have figured it out by using just the sort of mental processes necessary for scientific/technological discovery and innovation.  Thanks, Scientist Santa!


______________________________________



"I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six.  Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph."
                                                                -- Shirley Temple


No comments:

Post a Comment