Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, December 5, 2015

Highly Favored!


I went to Staples yesterday for some office supplies.  When I checked out, I plopped my stuff down on the counter and offered my usual rote greeting to the clerk:  "How are you?"

Her immediate, enthusiastic reply:  "I'm blessed and highly favored!"  OK, good for you.

I'm familiar with the various (and tiresome) "blessings" salutations used by some.  But I'd never before encountered the self-description of "highly favored."   What the heck did that mean?  Top-ranked in the latest AP football poll?  The #1 seed at Wimbledon?  I guessed, correctly, that it was a form of evangelical bragging -- kind of like "I've Got a Golden Ticket" . . . to heaven, rather than a chocolate factory.  The further implication is that you probably don't have that ticket.

With a quick web search I learned that this is a phrase popular with born-again Bible literalists.  Those who say it believe they are so personally good and pious as to be blessed and highly favored by God himself!  Wow.  Holy-hand-picked to be on the Big Boy's short list.  Special!

I also found the derivation of the phrase:  An angel told Mary she was "highly favored" right after God magically inseminated the married virgin.
________________________________________



"My problem with organized religion is that it makes otherwise intelligent people say stupid things."
Christopher Hitchens

"If Christ were here now, there is one thing he would not be -- a Christian."
Mark Twain







No comments:

Post a Comment