Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, December 18, 2015

"Sir, Have You Been Eating Jam Tonight?"


Last night, we went to a dinner gathering with some of my oldest and dearest friends.  Most of us go back to college days, some even further.  There were about 15 of us and it was a lovely evening.

One of these old cronies brought gifts.  He gave each couple a jar of special jam, homemade by one of his neighbors who's in the jelly/jam-making business.  It's called "The Cherry Manhatten" (I can't account for the misspelling), made with Amaretto-soaked Montmorency cherries, Bulleit bourbon, and Angostura bitters.  I had some this morning, and it's delicious.  And when you open the lid, you get a whiff of whiskey!  So good it could be illegal!


So I guess I could almost imagine the following:

"License and registration, please.  Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No, officer.  Why?"

"You were driving in a nervous, sugar-buzzed fashion.  Sir, have you been eating jam tonight?"

"Nah . . . Um, well, uh, yeah, I guess I may have had a little jam . . . with my dinner."

"How much jam did you have tonight, sir?

"Only two, maybe three bites."

"Are you sure about that, sir?  Your driving was sugar-impaired and I smell cherries on your breath.  And what's all that in the back seat?  Are those all empty jam jars?"


"Wait!  I can explain -- those are not my jars, I was just . . ."

"OK, sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to step out of the vehicle and place your sticky hands on the roof of the car."


___________________________________


Seriously, it's very good stuff and truly home-produced.  The little company is called Sweet Thing Gourmet.  Their products are available at specialty stores in central Ohio, or by contacting them at www.sweetthinggourmet.com, Bexley, OH, ph. 614-252-1830.  Check 'em out!
www.sweetthinggourmet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment