Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Fellow Americans . . .

My fellow Americans, some of you are just so horribly . . . strange!

Yesterday, my brother-in-law (for me, one of just two) Facebooked a kudo to President Obama for putting us on "the path to common sense in gun control."  Amen, and hallelujah!  Could not agree more, and gave it a big "Like".

But then an in-law of the in-law (in-law squared?), the husband of my brother-in-law's sister, had to pipe up.  He's not a real close acquaintance of mine, but I've met him a few times.  Here's his take on the issue (spelling and punctuation courtesy of your humble correspondent):

"Obama is a joke.  My paycheck lost 2% in taxes.  There should be no such thing as gun control." 

My real brother-in-law responded, reasonably, calmly and correctly, that it was the "joke" Obama who gave us all a two-year temporary 2% cut in payroll tax (and what does that have to do with guns?), and that gun rights do not necessarily translate to assault rifles.

In-Law Squared then replied, "Fucking Obama, he sucks.  That's how I feel.  So I have a hundred 10-round clips.  I feel better now!"

You feel better?  Really?  How strange.  I feel much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment