Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Buster: "I'm Begging For Your Help"


Dear readers, I need your help.  Indeed, I'm begging for it.

In February, I was gobsmacked at the age of 62 by an out-of-nowhere diagnosis of Stage 4 lung and bone cancer.  I had extensive surgery, a two-night hospital stay, and two weeks of radiation.  My ongoing treatment is a very expensive targeted therapy daily oral drug, plus CT scans, bloodwork and a very expensive injection every eight weeks.  This regimen will continue indefinitely, i.e. forever.

This sort of treatment is prohibitively expensive without good health insurance.  And I'm fortunate to have good coverage via the ACA/Obamacare.  I'm even more fortunate because, as a self-employed person, I've never had such quality coverage before and the ACA's premium subsidies make my plan truly affordable.  My out-of-pocket costs are finally in line with those of good employer-provided plans with employer-subsidized premiums.  Without the ACA, I could never afford the sort of individual health insurance which is currently keeping me alive.

I've been covered by the ACA/Obamacare since open enrollment started in 2013.  Approximately 20 million people picked up coverage via the ACA, most of whom wouldn't be insured without it.  Our nation's uninsured rate is at an all-time low.  And Republicans would like to blow it all up and take it all away from us.

The GOP's efforts to destroy Obamacare have unprecedented opposition from physicians, hospital groups, healthcare advocates, insurers, and 87% of the American public.  The various Republican "ideas" are opposed by the American Medical Assoc., the American Hospital Assoc., America's Health Insurance Plans, the Blue Cross-Blue Shield Assoc., AARP, and the American Academy of Actuaries, to name but a few.

Republican plans will raise costs dramatically on the sick and the old, and will deny coverage to somewhere between 16 million (the so-called "skinny" repeal) and 32 million (repeal only) Americans currently covered by health insurance.

The GOP doesn't give a shit about healthcare policy.  Most of them know nothing about insurance.  Their obsession -- all they care about -- is destroying the signature legislative accomplishment of President Obama.

Their cruelty and immorality is staggering, as they ignore all public outcry and demands to keep Obamacare and flush Trumpcare like the turd that it is.  Since the House rolled out its hideous initial version back in March, I've been on pins and needles.  And I've been active, attending an occasional protest and calling, writing, or emailing just about every day.

Now I'm tired, sad, frustrated, disgusted, and probably a bit depressed.  The zombie of GOP healthcare destruction just won't die.  Mitch senselessly wants to pass something, and quickly, and Trumpistopheles has said he'll sign anything.

We must keep fighting this abomination, and not just for my sake.  Many lives are at stake.  This is not about politics, it's about human decency and morality.  I have relatives and friends with autistic children.  I know people with physical disabilities and mental disorders.  They all need lots of expensive care, and will for the rest of their lives.  Think about those folks, and all those like them.  They'll get hurt if the GOP succeeds with their craven scheme.

I'm not giving up, but I need your help.  Please help me!  If you're in Ohio, please commit to calling or emailing Senator Portman at least once a day from now on.  Two or three times a day is better.  Tell him that 87% of Americans oppose Trumpcare, he must therefore reject any version of Trumpcare, and must NOT repeal Obamacare.    

Here is Portman's email link:  https://www.portman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form
His D.C. office phone number is 202-224-3353.

If you're not in Ohio, please call or email your Republican senator every day with the same message.

We've got to stop this crazy train!

No comments:

Post a Comment