Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, January 12, 2015

What's In A Word?


Sometimes, all it takes is one word to set me off.  (Blame it on too much TV.)
___________________________________

I've been seeing a lot of ads for the Wounded Warrior Project and other appeals using the word "warrior".  I support our troops as much as anyone, but could we please use a word that doesn't glorify war?  Warrior carries too much connotation of Mongol hordes and the like.  How about wounded soldier, veteran, service man, service woman, or military personnel?

Subway Restaurants:  "It's our best chicken yet."  Yet?  Really?  How bad was your chicken before?

With the NYPD slow-down kerfuffle, I've heard some people talk about "discretionary" policing, as in "These cops are making a statement to the mayor by refusing to engage in any discretionary policing."  What is discretionary police work?  Does such a thing even exist?  It shouldn't.

Dodge:  "Driving is a holy endeavor."  Oh yes, it's "holy" for sure.  WWJD?  What would Jesus drive?


No comments:

Post a Comment