Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, January 31, 2015

Red Means Stop, Green Means Go, And Yellow Means Go Real F***ing Fast!


Today around noon, I'm driving westbound on a 35 MPH city street.  I need to make a left turn at the next intersection, where the lights are green in both directions for east-west traffic.  I pull into the left-turn-only lane, where mine is the only vehicle.  I'm slightly forward into the intersection, stopped and signaling to make my left.  The eastbound traffic is fairly heavy, so I wait.

As the light turns yellow, I inch forward a bit more.  One more eastbound car rolls through on the yellow, then I start a routine, everyday left turn across the now-empty intersection.

Except suddenly it's not empty.  Another eastbound car appears out of nowhere, running the light and about to T-bone me at high speed.  When the light went yellow, this guy was so far back he was a speck, a non-factor.  Now he's gunning it to make the intersection and looming very large in my passenger-side windows.  OMG!  How frigging fast is this douchebag going?  How could he not see me?  Why didn't he stop?

Shocked and certain I am going to be hit, I hold my breath, stomp on the gas and hope I can somehow get out of his path.

I really have no idea how he missed me.  It was so, so close -- a matter of inches.  And it would have been bad.

After this heart-stopping left turn, I required a change of underwear.  And I think the driver's seat of my car may need new upholstery.

No comments:

Post a Comment