Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bloated, Crassly Commercial, And All But Meaningless

At this time of year, do these names mean anything to you -- Famous Idaho Potato, BBVA Compass, Fight Hunger, Pinstripe, TicketCity? No? How about these garden spots -- Shreveport, Albuquerque, Detroit, Birmingham, the Bronx? Still nothing?

They're the official names of some of college football's bowl games, and some of their fabulous locations. "Great season, guys! Now we're going to Detroit! Yee-ha!!"

This year, there are thirty-five (thirty-five!) bowl games, running from December 17th through January 9th, culminating in the supposed BCS National Championship Rematch game between LSU and Alabama.

Although I'm sure I'll watch a few of these contests, my interest will be half-hearted. The excessive number of games waters down the quality of the whole thing, almost all of them mean nothing, and it's much too obviously all about the money. If the organizers could figure out a way to get enough sucker sponsors, they'd have 100 fuckin' bowl games. Hell, 200. Who'd watch all those mediocre games? As long as the bowl checks didn't bounce, the colleges sure wouldn't care.

After all this time and all this contrived BCS/computer rankings/umpteen polls beauty pageant bullshit, are we not finally ready for a real playoff? I know I am, and there are ways to do it and make just as money for most of these schools, if not more.

In this glorious football post-season, I already have one regret. I totally missed last night's Beef O'Brady's Bowl. Damn! I understand Marshall defeated Florida International.

One question: Does anyone know who or what a "Beef O'Brady" is? No, wait, on second thought, I'd rather not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment