Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, March 1, 2010

Wild Wild West (2010)


I read today that our own fair State of Ohio reported that almost 57,000 permits for concealed-carry of handguns were issued in 2009. This total represents an increase of 67% from the prior year. So in just the past 2 years, the number of Ohioans legally carrying guns has risen by about 90,000. Add this to those who already have permits, plus God-knows-how-many unlicensed gun owners, and it's clear there are a couple hundred thousand of our fellow Buckeyes wandering around out there armed to the teeth! It's a safe bet that, right now, there's a lady in the grocery store with a pistol in her purse and a man at a restaurant with a Glock in his sock. It's the wild, wild West!

Don't know what you think about this, but I think it's shear lunacy. The gun carriers say it's all about self-defense and personal security. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think the exact opposite is true. Nobody carries a gun because they intend to not use it.

So you do as you see fit, but as for me, next time I'm out and about and somebody so much as rips a loud fart, my ass is hittin' the deck!

No comments:

Post a Comment