Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, March 11, 2010

Daddy's Sweet Little Girl


Dick Cheney's daughter Liz is a real piece of work, rivalling even her own father when it comes to far-right demagoguery. Together with douchebag conservative columnist William Kristol, she heads up a jingoistic advocacy group called "Keep America Safe." (Motto: If waterboarding is outlawed, only outlaws will use waterboards.) These rock-ribbed patriots are the sort who see bad guys and bogeymen behind every set of drapes. And we just won't be safe until we get 'em, torture 'em, lock 'em up and throw away the key!!

But with her latest outburst, Liz may have gone too far. She said to anyone who would listen that Attorney General Eric Holder and the Dept. of Justice attorneys who defended Gitmo detainees were, without a doubt, terrorist sympathizers, were probably traitors, and may even be terrorists themselves. Liz called them the "Al Qaeda Seven" and said they all ought to be fired, prosecuted, and hung up by their balls. We're at war, she said (the Cheneys sure love to say "war"), and you're either with us or you're against us. Providing a defense to these animals is tantamount to treason!

And with that, the shit-storm turned and started raining down on her. A truckload of conservative lawyers signed a letter condemning her comments and reminding her that all detainees and defendants, even the odious ones, have a right to a defense. The signers included several attorneys from the Bush DOJ, and even Republican attack dog Ken Starr. Bush's Attorney General, Mike Mukasey, wrote an op-ed piece for the Wall Street Journal which said that Liz was dangerously full of shit. As a right-winger, you know you've fucked up when Rupert Murdoch's paper calls you out.

Her only backer seemed to be her father. In a statement, Dick said, "I think Liz is absolutely correct and I couldn't agree more with her scary-crazy ideas. I fully support her in this and in everything she does, even being a lesbian, which I wouldn't ordinarily support, but since she's my daughter, I do support it -- for her."

Liz replied, "I know Dad's always got my back, and I just adore him. I'd adore him even more if he were a woman. Which he's not. Some people say we look a lot alike, but I just don't see it. Do you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment