Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, September 27, 2018

Today's Hearing, a.k.a. A Slow Work Day For Me


Well, I didn't get much real work done today.

I promised myself I would not watch the Christine Blasey Ford-Brett Kavanaugh hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.  But I'm weak.  The TV was on in the other room and I kept leaving my office to watch parts of it.  It's still going on right now.

IMHO, Dr. Blasey Ford -- an amateur in a room full of professionals --was dignified, forthright, and utterly credible.  She kept her composure and I believe her.  She had nothing to gain by her testimony and no reason to lie.

Brett "Boofy" Kavanaugh, by contrast, went straight to the old Clarence Thomas playbook.  He arrived in attack mode, full of puffed-up  indignation, victimhood and crocodile tears.  He denied it all, said it never happened, said he wasn't there, and called the hearing a disgrace.  He angrily blamed Democrats and outside money for his predicament, and raged against the high-tech lynching (to borrow a phrase) of a smug, whiny, over-privileged prep school brat.  His denials are blustery bullshit.

So it's a clear case of she said-he lied.  Up-Chuck Grassley has scheduled the confirmation vote for tomorrow morning.  If he sticks to that, we'll soon find out if our society has made any progress in the last 27 years.  If there are not at least two Republican Senators willing to vote "no" on confirming Kavanaugh, then we'll know just how Jurassically retrograde we truly are.

A grassleyosaurus and a hatchodactyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment