Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, September 30, 2018

Good News, Bad News


First, the good news.  In a break from tradition, my staunchly Republican hometown fish-wrap, the Columbus Dispatch, has endorsed the Democrat Richard Cordray for Ohio Governor.  And I'm happy to say that I heard from two more Republican friends this weekend who told me they saw my Cordray campaign ad on TV, and as a result will be voting for Cordray.  The power of advertising.  Yay!

Since they're my friends, their conversion may be more of a sympathy vote for little-old-cancer-patient-me than genuine support for Cordray, but whatever.  I'll take it.

The bad news?  After expressing their liking for my ad and the Democratic candidate, both of these Republicans felt the need to tell me, immediately and unsolicited, how much they like Brett Kavanaugh, how much they despised Christine Blasey Ford, and how unfair they thought the Senate hearings had been.  It was like, after a momentary side trip into compassion, they couldn't wait to get back to conservative crankshaftery.  True colors.

Isn't it amazing how often two people can observe the exact same thing and yet arrive at two diametrically opposed conclusions:

  • I see a drunken, partisan, lying, belligerent, self-pitying sack of monkey shit.
  • They see a Supreme Court Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment