Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, October 21, 2017

"Mine's Bigger Than Yours!"


Here's a charming vignette from Friday night at the old watering hole.

The lovely Mrs. Gammons and I are frequent Friday night patrons at a nearby bar, and we've come to know many of the regulars.  Nice folks, to be sure. 

Last night, we observed two of them spending an hour or so amusing themselves by showing each other photos of all their guns, which they both keep on their phones.  Apparently, the next best thing to literally carrying all your firearms with you at all times is having photos of your arsenal with you at all times.  They clucked and cooed over images of their lethal weapons like they were looking at baby pictures.

One of these gun worshippers is a guy of our approximate age, with an advanced degree and a successful career.  The other one is a younger man, uneducated, and a bit of a hard-knock story.  Nevertheless, they're both too old for this sort of more-cowboy-than-thou stuff.

"Nice shootin' iron ya got there, pardner.  Here, let me show ya mine." 

If I were a real smart-ass, I'd call it a dick-measuring contest.  Oops!  I just did.


No comments:

Post a Comment