Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, February 14, 2016

Scalia: Raging Bull(chip)


I have ragged on him in this blog countless times before.  Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was a staunch proponent of an absurd judicial ideology known as constitutional originalism.  He was a reliably regressive right-winger, an activist judge, and a troll in both his speech and his opinions.  A Raging Bull(chip).  He died yesterday at age 79.

As I reflect on his passing, the words of Mark Twain seem appropriate:

"I will not attend his funeral, but I will send a nice note saying I approve of it."


Scalia's death opens up a seat on the Supreme Court bench and a hellacious can of worms.  The first reaction from Republicans was predictably ignorant and hostile.  They want to wait an entire year for the next president to make the appointment because they swear they'll automatically reject any nominee from Obama.  (This is in keeping with their spiteful M.O. of the past 7 years.)

To his credit, Obama will not wait, will not punt.  He has said he'll do his duty and appoint a nominee of his choosing when he's ready to do so.  Right on, Cuz!

What happens with that nominee is anyone's guess.  It's gonna be a real battle.  Whatever the outcome, that battle will be:

(A)  Ugly
(B)  Fun
(C)  Great blog material
(D)  Critically important to the future of our country
(E)  All of the above

I'm going with (E).  Fasten your seatbelt!

No comments:

Post a Comment