Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Similarities Are Striking


This picture ran in the paper today.  It's a group of pro-Russia demonstrators in eastern Ukraine.  A number of similar photos have appeared recently, and every time I see one I'm struck by the sameness of the faces -- the uniformity of these Putin-people is remarkable  They could pass for a reunion of one, big extended family.



These photos also remind me of other familiar group shots.  (I wish I had the software to do this right, but I don't, so you'll just have to use your imagination.)

Take this same photo and make just a few changes:

Add guns, camo jackets and freeze-dried food, and you have a collection of preppers and survivalists.

Dress them in wife-beaters and trucker caps, holding cans of Busch beer, and you get NASCAR fans.

Add swastika armbands, more leather and even fewer teeth, and it's a neo-Nazi gang.

Insert lots of American flags, some tri-cornered hats and a misspelled anti-Obama sign, and you have a Tea Party rally!
___________________________________________

(What do you see?  If a few tweaks to the pic would remind you of some other groups, just leave a description in the comment link.)


No comments:

Post a Comment