Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The New Richter Scale For Fracking


I wish columnist Joe Blundo owned the Columbus Dispatch, instead of the Wolf's media monster.  Joe is a regular columnist whose marching orders are to be amusingly topical but controversy-free.  He usually writes in a non-partisan, "meh" sort of way, but every so often he strikes the right satirical chord and lets his true colors fly.  Like today.

Reacting to the recent earthquakes in Youngstown and the mealy-mouthed, responsibility-denying  comments from the ODNR and the fracking industry, Joe has proposed a new 1-to-10 Richter Scale for seismic use in Ohio and other fracking regions.  My favorites are Levels 1, 4, and 9:

Level 1.  Quake?  What quake?  I felt nothing.

Level 4.  Yes, the building did sway slightly.  But I think it was just the effect of the economy growing from responsible oil and gas exploration.

Level 9.  We've been given a unique opportunity to rebuild our state from the ground up.

No comments:

Post a Comment