Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, February 17, 2014

My New Winter Olympics Vocabulary


Yes, the Winter Games are like the less attractive, less popular sister to the Summer Games, but some of those winter events can help expand your vocabulary:

"Bonspiel" -- A good sales pitch? No, a bonspiel is a curling tournament.

"Nose butter" -- Not to be confused with nose candy, Aspen lift lines, or Peruvian marching powder.  A nose butter is a skiing trick.

"Look at the unison!" -- Frequent exclamation from the TV commentator during the ice dancing event.  The judges are always looking for unison from the skating pair.  I thought things in unison were heard, not seen.  (I think she meant unity.)

"Their twizzle was out of sync." -- Then they should seek immediate medical attention, right?  No, twizzle is a required skating maneuver in ice dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment