Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, February 21, 2014

"A Promotion And A Pay Raise? No Thank You."


My morning routine goes like this:  feed the dogs, make coffee, pour a cup and sit down with an old-school, actual hard copy of the newspaper, the thin and doltish Dispatch.  After checking the good stuff like sports and weather, I take a deep breath, try to suppress my gag reflex and turn to the editorial page.  I don't linger, but once in a while an especially ignorant letter to the editor will jump out at me.  Like today.

Has no need for income.
Just wants insurance subsidy.
Really???
Under the Dispatch-written headline "Health Care Law Works Against Ambition", a Mark Antonetz of Westerville wanted the world to know that because of Obamacare's insurance premium subsidies, great multitudes of people will now be refusing job promotions and pay raises, preferring instead to keep their income low in order to maintain their subsidy.  This favoring of cheaper insurance premiums over higher personal income will be, Mr. Antonetz says, "inevitable."

I'm sorry, Mr. Antonetz, but that's one of the larger crocks of shit I've ever heard.  I'm a big fan of Obamacare, but your assertion that most people value health insurance more than actual income is absurd.  Money won't buy love or happiness, and it won't solve all your problems, but it helps solve some of them.  As any 3rd-grader could tell you, in a general sense, more money beats less money.

So I'm not passing on any pay raises, and I bet you're not either.  First things first -- Show me the money!  After that, then I'll worry about details like insurance premiums.

Which is worse, the off-base conclusions drawn in this chuckle-butt letter, or the Dispatch's decision to print it?

No comments:

Post a Comment