Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, July 11, 2018

He Came In Like A Wrecking Ball (And Now I Owe My Neighbor $5)


America First.  America Alone.  Trump Alone.

From the jump, Demolition Don has had no interest in preserving our long-standing Western alliances and multi-national agreements.  Quite the opposite, he's been intent on their destruction, whether it's the UN, NATO, the G-7, NAFTA, TPP, the WTO, the Iran nuclear deal, or what have you.  Bannon must be proud.

A couple weeks ago, a friend, neighbor and regular reader emailed to ask me, "What do you bet Trump trashes NATO before he goes off to play kissy-face with Putin?"  I replied that even though I thought that would be extremely likely, I was still willing to risk $5 on the slim chance the fake prez would behave like an adult rather than a childish provocateur.

"No, Mr. Trump.  You may not have all the bacon."
Looks like I'll need to pay up.  As he departed for Europe, Dolt 45 fired off a couple anti-NATO tweets and said that among his visits with NATO, the UK, and Dear Vladi, "Putin may be the easiest."  Once in Brussels, he used a breakfast meeting with NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg for a cringe-inducing attack on Germany for being "a captive of Russia, totally controlled by Russia."  Germany gets natural gas from Russia.  Our Thug-In-Chief says that's "unfair" since "we're protecting Germany, we're protecting France, we're protecting everybody."  (Where Donnie comes from, you gotta pay for protection.)

Oh my.  Until 2017, America was the shining star at NATO meetings, a founder, the belle of the ball.  Now we're just the rude bumpkin who makes a big stink and refuses to play nice with others. 

Up next, more NATO antagonism followed by a trip to Helsinki to give blow-jobs to a grateful Vladimir Putin.  Tom-O, your $5 is ready!




No comments:

Post a Comment