Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, November 30, 2014

Return Of The Gyno-ticians


State Rep. Lynn Wachtmann (R, Napoleon, male) has introduced his "heartbeat bill" again.  This is at least his third try.  Here's my letter to my very own Republican state representatives:
__________________________________________

State Rep. Mike Duffey
State Sen. Jim Hughes

I’m writing to ask you to oppose H.B. 248, the so-called “Heartbeat Bill”.  Reps. Wachtmann and Hagman have resurrected their unconstitutional attempt to effectively ban all abortions in Ohio.  Their bill would make abortion illegal the moment a fetal heartbeat is detected, which is well before most women even know they’re pregnant.   This is a cruel and regressive piece of legislation.  It has failed to pass before, and deserves no better fate this time.  I urge you to strongly oppose H.B. 248.

Societal benefit comes not from punitive heartbeat bills but from reducing unwanted pregnancies, which in turn reduces abortions.  Therefore I ask you to work to reduce unwanted pregnancies through increased education and increased access to affordable contraception.  I also urge you to undo the damage done by previous ideological legislation by working to restore safe, legal and widely-available abortion services throughout Ohio.  

Sincerely,

Buster Gammons

No comments:

Post a Comment