Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, October 25, 2014

Rye Bread


I'm just curious.  Have you ever had a loaf of rye bread packaged like the one shown here?  With the tiny, useless little slices at the open end of the bag, and all the proper slices at the bottom?  What's up with that?  Why can't they put the loaf in there the other way around?  What are those mini-slices good for?  Sandwiches for elves?  Who eats them?  I know I don't.  Do you?



I bet George Carlin never ate them either.

"When you make a sandwich at home, do you reach down past the first few slices to get to the really good bread?  It's a survival thing:  'Let my family eat the rotten bread.  I'll take care of Numero Uno!'  And sometimes the issue isn't freshness but the size of the slice you're after.  Everyone knows the wider ones are somewhere near the middle.  So down you go past six inferior slices to reach the ones you want."


"You're gorgeous!  I love you madly!  Madly!
Come to my room in half an hour . . .  and bring some rye bread."

Jimmy Durante to Mary Wickes in The Man Who Came To Dinner




No comments:

Post a Comment