Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, October 23, 2014

Logic Of The Hot-Head Red-Neck Jock


As Infante rounds third, Strickland yells homeward
at Perez, who had just scored.
The Kansas City Royals won Game 2 of the World Series last night, defeating the San Francisco Giants 7-2.  The Royals scored 5 runs in the 6th inning, and the two teams almost had a bench-clearing brawl.

With one out in the 6th, Giants reliever Hunter Strickland, good ol' boy from Georgia, gave up a two-run double to the Royals' Salvador Perez.  Omar Infante was next up for the Royals and promptly jacked a two-run home run off Strickland.

At this point, mad as hell about the world and everything in it, Strickland inexplicably began to yell at Perez, not Infante, who had hit the homer.  Perez shrugged, but Strickland screamed at him to get back in the dugout or come out to the mound for an ass-kicking.

That's when both benches emptied and there was group yelling and mass finger-pointing, but happily no fighting.  The San Francisco manager pulled Strickland and put in a different pitcher.

In the Giants locker room after the game, reporters asked Strickland why he was yelling at Perez.

"My emotions got to me," Strickland replied.  "I thought he said something."

What did he say?

"I don't know.  I don't speak Spanish.  But I'm not going to back down from anything."  (Even if I don't understand a word of it.)

Hunter, you are so smrt.  D'oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment