Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, January 31, 2014

Not What The Founders Intended


(I don't know Dr. Nancy M. Vaughan in the slightest, but I like her!  Bravo, Doc!)

The following appeared as a letter to the editor in today's Dispatch.
_________________________________________________


Fantasy:  Good guys shoot bad guys.

Fact:  Angry men shoot wives, ex-wives, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, family members, rivals, friends, strangers, bosses, etc.  They shoot to vent their anger and "solve" their problem.

Every day in the paper, I come across yet another report of a shooting, usually fatal.  I have grown weary of hearing people shout about Second Amendment rights.  I cannot help but think our current obsession with guns and the indiscriminate use of these "arms" was not what our forefathers had in mind.

The Second Amendment is being debased and twisted to justify the the ease of obtaining, carrying and using a gun.
Dr. Barker
Dr. Vaughan

I used to believe in God, but I am not so sure anymore.  I pray to an "omnipotent being" and ask for common sense and civility to return to our society, and for an end to the obsession with guns and the violence that they bring.

I ask our legislators to use sense in drafting and passing legislation to try to improve our society, not make it easier for us to kill one another.  Otherwise, the national uniform is going to be a bullet-proof vest.

Dr. Nancy M. Vaughan
Hilliard, OH

___________________________________________________

(I forwarded her letter verbatim to Sen. Rob Portman, and added this comment:  "I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Vaughan and call on you to change your ways and take up this good cause.  It took your own gay son to make you change your position on gay marriage.  How many more innocent people must become victims of gun violence before you change your interpretation of and position on the Second Amendment?  Do you act only when it concerns your own family?") 

No comments:

Post a Comment