Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Wisdom Of Buster Junior

The average under-30 American young adult listens to all this Prop 8/DOMA/Supreme Court crapola and says, "WTF?  I can't believe we need to go to these lengths.  This is so stupid!"

One of those young adults is my son, John.  (I shouldn't tag him with "Buster Jr."  He is most definitely his own person.)  Here is what he just posted on Facebook: 


"While it is very refreshing to see so many of my Facebook friends supporting our gay buddies, I'm also seeing a lot of personal friends of mine posting really ignorant and repugnant shit.  These people need to grow up and realize that in 40 or 50 years, the issue of gay marriage will be looked at exactly like the issue of desegregation.  Marriage is just as much of a right to the gay person as it is to the straight person.  Get your heads out of your asses (and the 1950's) and freshen up to the changing culture of America.  I promise you that gay people are not here to hurt you or take over America -- they just wanna get married, man!"


Well said, Boy-O!  You make me proud.  You've also inherited, for better or worse (probably worse), your old man's potty-mouth.  One thing, though.  Your timeline is probably long.  Pollster and numbers guru Nate Silver says that, in less than seven years, gay marriage and full gay rights will be completely acceptable in 44 of our 50 states.

Perhaps the Supremes ought to take a hint from Nate and John just get on with it now.




2 comments:

  1. Its a shame we can't all just get along. I see the postings of evangelical right with their protests agsinst equal marriage rights and then the pleadings of those who only want those rights, and I think, if two people love each other and want to commit to each other, why not? After all, it's all just about love. My vision of my God and his Son is that he's all for such committed love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The far-right "Christian" conservatives don't know love, just fear and ignorance.

    ReplyDelete