Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Legal Weed Whacked In Ohio


This one surprised me.  Of course, I was surprised when McGovern got skunked by Nixon.

I thought Ohio's Issue 3 to legalize recreational and medical marijuana would pass easily, continuing the national trend.  Instead, it was soundly defeated.  Not being a joker/smoker/toker for many decades now, I'm not personally impacted.  I just happen to believe legalization is inevitable and advisable, thus I'm a bit disappointed.

So, did Issue 3 fail because (A) so many intelligent, research-oriented, deep-thinking Ohioans had genuine misgivings about the supposed "monopolistic" aspects of its attempted launch of legal weed?  Were the majority of Ohio voters really opposed to the idea of investors/owners of 10 designated growing facilities having exclusive rights (profits) across the state for the next 4 years?

Or was it (B) just another case of low-info, stupid reactionary voters having out-sized influence in a low turnout election?

Uhh, I'm gonna have to say (B).

Ohio's Forces of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) have done it again.  They've convinced the goober classes that Issue 3 would have put THC-laced gummy bears on every school kid's lunch tray.

Hang in there, legalization advocates.  We are, sadly, a little slow about some things here in Buckeye Land, but eventually we come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment