Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, November 13, 2015

Ignorance Can Be Fixed, But Stupid Is Forever (Especially On Facebook)


I saw this stupid meme the other day.  It was posted on Facebook by one of my FB acquaintances.  Don't recall who it was, and that's just as well.

It seems to be saying that this poor young man was better off when he wasn't required to have health coverage, and therefore did not have any.

I can relate to the affordability problem, at least before Obamacare.  But not now.  The ACA's income-based premium subsidies make the coverage affordable for anyone, even this poor slob.  For those with very low income, premiums are miniscule, almost free.

And if our poor boy in the picture is actually at poverty-level income, then he would qualify for Medicaid and pay zero.  That was true before Obamacare, and it's still true.

By the way, the I.R.S. penalty is not for "being unable to afford it."  It's for willful ignorance of the law and refusal to take advantage of the options in the law which do in fact make coverage affordable.
_____________________________________________

(The Grassroot Journal, source of the meme, is an ultra-right, militia-man, anti-government site based somewhere in the western U.S.  It's author is a Cliven Bundy fanboy.  I do wish people would check the source before they slap shit up on Facebook.  Silly me.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment