Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, September 2, 2015

For A Moment, Victory Was Within Our Grasp. Then The Season Started.


By virtue of geography and inclination, I've always been a Cleveland Browns fan.  This worked out fairly well until 1996, when the Browns moved to Baltimore and turned into the Ravens.  After 4 years of nothing, Cleveland returned to the NFL in 1999 as the Browns, but in reality they were the Clowns.  They've been consistently sucky ever since.

That was supposed to change in 2014 when we drafted quarterback Johnny Manziel with our first-round pick.  Didn't happen.  Manziel descended rapidly from "Johnny Football" and "Johnny Heisman" to Johnny Money-Sign, Johnny Flip-Off, Johnny Nightclub, Johnny Vodka, Johnny Hangover, Johnny Cocaine, Johnny Back-Up, Johnny Overslept, Johnny Don't Care, Johnny Rehab, and now, Johnny Elbow.

Manziel's poor throwing mechanics give him chronic elbow pain.  He'll miss the rest of the Browns preseason games with a case of elbow tendinitis, and his return is unknown.

The Cleveland Clowns will open the regular season with 36 year-old journeyman Josh McCown at QB.  McCown will be Cleveland's 23rd starting QB since 1999.  He is ranked dead last -- 32nd out of 32 QBs -- in Sports Illustrated's position rankings.

The season hasn't begun yet.  Is it too early to say, "Wait until next year" ?
_______________________________________


Go Bucks!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Buster, how are you? I was riveted by yet another of your blog postings- I actually stumbled upon it when I was doing genealogical research about the Jacobsen branch of my family. I loved the piece you wrote about my grandmother's insistence that a mint julep never have too little bourbon, or too much sugar. I thought your requiem for our late Aunt Babs was poignant and befitting of someone of her stature. It intrigued me to learn that she had written a set of memoirs during the denouement of her life- it is indescribable how much it would mean to me if I could attain a copy of Born in the Jazz Age. Aunt Babs was a world-class raconteur; I used to delight in hearing the tales of her aristocratic matrilineal line, along with the anecdotes about her cowboy-turned-banker father. Aunt Babs remarked to me that "you're a Jacobsen, so of course you don't put sugar in your tea"- to this day, I never add a thing to my coffee or Earl Grey because of that affirmation.

    I was saddened to hear of your parents' passing. Uncle Jerry was charming, but courtly; Aunt Marge was always gracious to me whenever I saw her. I saw them rarely because they were in Mansfield, but they were always lovely to me when I did visit with them. I would rejoice to no end to read of the well-heeled upbringing of Uncle Jerry, Aunt Bibby, Uncle Bryce, and my grandmother, and all from the perspective of the supreme storyteller know to us as Aunt Babs.
    Cousin Buster, If I could attain a copy of Born in the Jazz Age, I would be forever grateful to you.

    Please get in touch with me at jeannette.sasscer@gmail.com, or nettie5454@yahoo.com

    Thank you.


    ReplyDelete