Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, July 23, 2015

No Such Thing As Bad Publicity


The Donald.  Living proof there's no such thing as bad publicity.  (I'm sure Bill Cosby would beg to differ.)

The Donald is also proof there's no such thing as a bad candidate for the Republican party.  Trump is trying hard to be the most outrageous asshole in a crowded field of them, and it's paying off for him in the short run.  On the "strength" of being as offensive as humanly possible, he's on top of the GOP polls -- which says something about the state of today's Republicans.  Doesn't say anything good, but it says it anyway.

Case in point:  We were out with some friends the other night at a fairly conservative watering hole, when someone brought up Donald Trump.  Oh, jeez!  I cringed, but another of the few liberal denizens of this haunt quickly rode to the rescue by loudly proclaiming that he, of all people, loved Donald Trump, loved watching him, loved what he was saying.  He was being facetious, which sailed right over most heads.  His "love" was the comedy value, but the right-leaners promptly chimed in with the Amen Chorus:  "Oh, me too.  Trump is my kind of guy.  I like his message."

Message?  That's pretty funny.  His screaming message is "I have more money than you do, which means I'm better and smarter than you, and I hate Mexicans and John McCain and anyone who disagrees with me!"  I guess some 'Muricans find that appealing.

I'm with the Huffington Post on this.  Last week they announced they would no longer give serious coverage to Trump's "campaign" in their political section.  Instead, all things Trump will now be relegated to the HuffPo's entertainment/pop culture/humor section, right there with the Duggars, cat videos, and Kim Kardashian's ass.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment