Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, March 23, 2015

Basketball On My Mind


Seems like every year around this time, there's a nostalgic post about college hoops.  March Madness can do that to a guy.

Mike Gminski
Jim Spanarkel

This year, two of the better TV announcers working the early rounds of the NCAA tournament were Mike Gminski and Jim Spanarkel.  Both are ex-NBA players who now call NBA games as well as college games.

Gminski and Spanarkel didn't broadcast any games together, but 37 years ago they were All-American teammates on a great Duke team.  The 1977-78 Blue Devils were a thing to behold, back in the days before Coach K.  (Yes, there was once such a time.)  Although I have no real affinity for Duke or the ACC, this squad captured my attention.  Gminski played center and Spanarkel was the point guard, and they were the two top scorers.  They were ably assisted by a pair of slashing forwards, Gene Banks and Kenny Dennard.  Together, they were a fast, smart team that was fun to watch.  They made it to the NCAA championship game, losing a close, high-scoring final to Kentucky.  (Friggin' Kentucky!)

Spanarkel

Gminski

Dennard & Banks
The following season, they all came back and were the pre-season #1 team in America.  They were undefeated when they met Ohio State on December 29, 1978 in the ECAC Holiday Tournament in Madison Square Garden.  I remember because the game would be a real test for the unranked Buckeyes, who were pretty good themselves with Kelvin Ransey, Herb Williams, Jim Smith and Carter Scott.  I remember it also because, unbelievably, this big game was not televised.  I vividly recall sitting in the kitchen of my dinky apartment, listening on the AM radio.  In those pre-ESPN days, that's the way things went.  Anyway, I was thrilled when the Buckeyes pulled out an overtime win over big, bad, #1 Duke!

So, did Ohio State build on that important victory and have a kick-ass season?  No.  We finished the year 19-12 and unranked.  It was Magic Johnson's year.

Bill Foster
Who was Duke's coach way back then, the one who preceded Mike Krzyzewski?  Bill Foster.  He later coached South Carolina and Northwestern.

This concludes another trip down my hoops memory lane.


Who am I pulling for is this year's NCAA tourney?  Well, OSU beat VCU but bowed out against Arizona, so now I'm for ABK -- Anybody But Kentucky!!


No comments:

Post a Comment