Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, November 18, 2013

Young Compassionate Conservatives


Among the many nice things that can occur while time marches on and you're not really paying attention is that you somehow make friendships and acquaintances with a lot of people younger than you are.  I know a fair number of these pups.  Most of them are turning 40 about now, while I'm hitting 60.  The lovely Mrs. Gammons calls them "my little friends."

On Sunday, I joined a number of these 40-somethings to watch the Browns-Bengals game.  At one point, the telecast went to a commercial break which was an appeal for charitable relief contributions for the many victims of Typhoon Haiyan.  One of the biggest, most powerful, most damaging storms the world has ever seen, Haiyan tore through the Philippine Islands over a week ago.  Over 4 million people have been displaced, with the death toll at 4000 and counting.

I love my little friends.  They're good people, family people.  I enjoy their company.  We have so much in common, with the lone exception being that most of them are acute conservatives.  So the moment the Haiyan relief ad ended, one of my young buddies piped up loudly with his opinion that those fuckin' Filipinos sure had their nerve asking us for money.  After all, how much did they send us after Superstorm Sandy or Hurricane Katrina or whatever?

Whatever for sure, dude.  The comment was so off-base, so tone-deaf and so uncalled-for even his fellow young conservatives were silent.  And never mind that disaster relief doesn't work that way and that, compared to the U.S., the Philippine government barely has two nickels to rub together.

Being the wise old fart in this gathering, I played deaf and said nothing.  But I wondered to myself, when I was 40, was I that big of a douchebag?


(Yeah, yeah, I hear ya.  "No, not then, Buster, but you sure as hell are now!"  Touche, my friends.  Touche.)

     


No comments:

Post a Comment