Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Koch Brothers Want You To Be Afraid Of Obamacare

Have you seen this TV ad?  It's from the Reich Wing -- Americans For Prosperity, the 501(c)3 formed by those beacons of truth, the Koch brothers.  Not sure what they've got against Obamacare, but it's a high-sleaze, fear-mongering  30-second spot, designed to frighten low-information right-tards.  (Is there really any other kind?)

The "doctor" in the ad has worries and questions about Obamacare and she just can't figure out any answers.  Since her questions are dreadfully simple, she must be about the dumbest doctor in the world.



Buster's got the breakdown, and the answers:

"Dr. Mary Ellen Gallagher, Pediatrician."  Do you know how many pediatricians there are in this country?  Why the hell is this one so special?  Why should we care what she has to say?  She's just a sell-out, a stunt doctor.

"I've treated sick kids for 15 years."  Better than treating the ones who aren't sick.

"I've always put my patients first, taking time to listen."  Good.  Obamacare has not one bloody thing to do with your ability to listen.

"Can I still work with parents to decide what's best for their kids?"  Yes!!

"Or will the government be in the middle of things?"  No.

"Will my time be spent navigating a complicated system?"  Obamacare does very little to change our health care "system".  It will remain largely the same grossly inefficient, over-priced, over-administered, paperwork-intensive clusterfuck of confusion with which you're already well-acquainted, doc.

"What will happen to my patients if I have to close my practice?"  Well, duh, ya dumbass -- they'd have to find another doctor!  But the question intentionally implies, quite wrongly, that Obamacare will somehow put doctors out of business.  In the main, Obamacare ends abuses and expands access and coverage.  So with a growing population and Baby Boomers entering retirement, we're gonna need all the doctors we can get -- even dumbass doctors like you, Mary Ellen.

"I think there are still a lot of questions."  Which I just answered.  Hope you were paying attention


No comments:

Post a Comment